Name: Elisia Otto
Sport(s)/Activity: Jiu Jitsu
Aliations/Groups: Gracie Barra Parker
Social Media Handles:@elisia.otto
1. Why did I first choose my sport?My mom put me and my brother in kickboxing, after a year or so my brother was getting bored so we decided to try out the other sport the gym offered, jiu-jitsu!
2. Why do I continue to play my sport?
It’s really fun and makes me feel like I’m doing something important.
3. If I could achieve anything I wished for in my sport, what would it be?
To be a successful competitor and being able to travel and do seminars.
4. What are the physical things I do really well in my sport?
Use my little bit of strength to my advantage, being able to choose how much I use based on who I’m going with.
5. What are the mental things I do really well in my sport?
Focus on the positives of the round, no matter the outcome.
6. How physically fit/strong do I need to be for my sport?
Not very strong at all honestly, it is the sport for the smaller/weaker person.
7. What skills and attributes do the best athletes have in my sport?
Positive attitudes, a helping mentality, and the effort to never give up.
8. What do I need to do to make sure I’m physically prepared for my sport?
Stretching is probably the biggest factor in how good I roll every day, as well as not being sore and/or having injuries.
9. How many hours of sleep do I need each night?
Around 6-5, depending on the day of the week or how much homework I have.
10. How do I make sure I get a sound night’s sleep?
Take my gummies and listening to music before bed.
11. How do I know if my recovery is working?
If I can stretch before class and not be in lots of pain.
12. What about the sport brings me the most joy?
Definitely meeting so many different types of people from all different walks of life. And lately coaching for sure, it’s a new experience that I really like.
13. How important is achieving my sporting goals to me?
Very important especially since I’m getting promoted soon so I will have more chances to competing and I will be closer to my black belt!
14. Where does confidence come from?
The fact that I can, in some shape or form, protect myself. Something that’s really cool about jiu jitsu is it teaches you how to be safe from your back and I think that’s really cool and definitely helpful if I were to ever need my skills.
15. What am I going to change tomorrow to make me better than I was today?
Focus on working on new techniques, not just my usuals.